How often does somebody listen to you with 100% of their attention? When was the last time you were supported with a conversation purely about you, about what you’d like and about what your way of moving forward would be?
This quality of thinking space is as valuable as it is rare! It’s time that’s purely for you, to discover new ideas, insights and actions that you love. Discover new ways to use your strengths, options you’d never spotted before, little steps that persistently move you closer to what you want. And enjoy some time that nourishes you so that you are able to nourish others.
It’s different to thinking alone, when you can get stuck in familiar thought patterns and expectations. So this is also a way of consulting with yourself, with your professionally trained champion right alongside helping you link up new thoughts and find what feels good for you.
This kind of thinking, listening and connecting is what coaching provides.
Why consider coaching?
What is it that’s got you interested in coaching?
In general terms, people choose to work with a coach because they know that they want something to be different. They may know what that something is – have some goal that they want to achieve, something they want more of, something they want less of. Often they don’t know exactly what that “something” is, and that’s the first stage of coaching.
In recognising that there is something that they would like to change, half of the work is already done – without that awareness, things continue as they are with whatever coping mechanisms they already have in place. With that awareness, they open options of how to proceed.
The foundation of coaching is that the coachee chooses the focus for each session. If you work with a coach, it’s about what you want, and it’s your ways of moving forward that the coach helps to draw out. The whole way that the you and your coach work together is crafted as a partnership, designed together to enable you to explore what you want in the way that you want.
Coaches will listen, champion you and your goal, help you identify the small steps forward (and occasional leaps!) that move you consistently towards your goal.
That regular focus on what you want and what the next thing is that you can do towards it can break the most seemingly impossible dream into achievable steps that feel right to you.
Coaches do not tell, advise, recommend, suggest, teach or instruct. If you are looking for that kind of support then mentoring, training or advice from an expert may be more relevant for you.
A metaphorical description
More to… has a strong association with mountains, so if that aspect appeals to you, here’s a more metaphorical description of what coaching is – and is not!
If a client wishes to climb a mountain, the coach first helps them get clear about which mountain they really want to climb, then walks up beside them, helping them maintain focus on their goal and identify the route that they want to take, exploring as much of the mountain as they want to on route, pacing them so that they can sustain progress, providing support and encouragement when they doubt themselves or feel like giving up, helping them identify the external and internal strengths that will help them get to the top. And ultimately, in climbing the mountain in their own way and at their own pace, the client gains way more than the summit.
The coach does not lead the way up the path, offer them a lift in a helicopter, give them a piggy back, or chase after them with a pointy stick!
How do I get started?
If working with a coach sounds like something that you’d like, but you’re not sure where to start, pick up the phone and give me a call. It’s free, we can chat through what you’re interested in and you can get a better feel for what coaching is like.
Call me on 01483 563671
It’s a free chat, free of obligation, free to explore and find out more about coaching in general.
- Take your time choosing a coach. Speak to several – work with someone that suits you – someone who “feels right” – and you’re the only one who knows that.
- No amount of writing can describe how you will find coaching! Far better for you to have a safe way to try it out for yourself. I and most other coaches do a free coaching call by way of a taster/introduction. No cost, no obligation, but a great way to explore what it would be like.
- Meet several coaches on a relaxing walk! I lead a free walk once a month in the Surrey Hills which several coaches come along to. So if that’s within range, you can meet and chat with myself and other coaches there.
- You could also cut straight to the full monty, take a break and book yourself on a Castle Farm weekend in Wales and work with three or four coaches there. Just so you’re clear, this option involves you spending some money!
Whatever sort of mountain you are considering climbing, coaching is ultimately about fun….Enjoy the route up to your goal as well as the goal itself.
Try a coaching session out for yourself, see if it’s for you – FREE
£75 per hour
Your lifestyle consultation is a 2 hour coaching package, working over the telephone, with the flexibility to spend that time in whatever bite-size chunks suit you best. You’ll get a relaxed introduction to the process first to help you understand what’s available to you – then you can choose how you’d like your lifestyle consultation to work.
Your Lifestyle Consultation includes some or all of:
- Goals: Clarify where you’re going, key lifestyle goals
- Life balance: take stock, discover new ways to aid your balance
- Strengths: uncover forgotten natural strengths and new ways you can use them
- Sources of energy: what feeds and supports you?
- Steps and support towards your goal – creation of practical, achievable steps
“If you’d told me I’d get this much out of it before we started, I wouldn’t have believed you.” GK, Norfolk
“Thank you for all your support. You have enriched my life – and shown me how I can do it for myself!” JL, London
This page has the following sub pages.